ListMessenger Support Forum
Guest Paul

Installation With Php 7.0.21

Guest Paul

The installation of ListMessenger Light on my server fails with "PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect()"

I'm using PHP Version 7.0.21 - the documentation says

mysql_connectOpen a connection to a MySQL Server

Warning

This extension was deprecated in PHP 5.5.0, and it was removed in PHP 7.0.0. Instead, the MySQLi or PDO_MySQL extension should be used.

The Listmessenger Installer says

Requirements Check

• PHP Version: PHP 7.0.21 is supported.
  • PHP Function: ini_get() is enabled.
  • PHP Function: ini_set() is enabled.

So I'm a bit confused. Is PHP 7.0.21 supported, or do I need a version of PHP which provides mysql_connect()?

Guest Paul

Found the solution in http://forum.listmessenger.com/topic/7752-php-upgrade-to-56/- thank you to whoever posted that.

For a new installation, when running setup.php during setup, in the "Database Adapter" field, just choose "MySQLi" instead of "MySQL". It's that simple!

If you have an existing installation, just edit includes/config.inc.php and change the second line from

define('DATABASE_TYPE', 'mysql')

to

define('DATABASE_TYPE', 'mysqli')

I understand (and respect) that ListMessenger development has probably ended.

Can ListMessenger still be used on PHP7? What fixes does it require? Or will it not be worth the hassle?

Is ListMessenger still safe/secure enough by 2019 standards?

I have tried to fix the issues and errors we had with our ListMessenger installation. I gave up after 10 hours of development, and have migrated to MailChimp. I did this with huge reluctance, but I have to admit that I'm very glad to have gone, and find that I know much more about my newsletter users now.

Thank you for your quick response, Jesper Brunholm Scharff. I really want to keep using a self-hosted solution. I really don't like getting forced into these third-party contracts, just because everybody has decided that "cloud services" is the way to go.

If ListMessenger is no longer usable, are there other self-hosted, open source alternatives?

matt.simpson, could you give us a status update? Are you OK...?

Edit:

My immediate issue is that I am no longer able to import contacts. I keep getting the error message that the private/tmp directory is not writable by PHP, that I have to set permissions to 777. I have endlessly double-checked and updated ownership and permissions of those folders. It should work.

Any suggestions how to fix that?

Otherwise ListMessenger still mostly works on PHP7, but not being able to import contacts would be the end of the line.

I get this error in the log:

[06-May-2019 22:09:16 UTC] PHP Warning:  "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /.../includes/functions.inc.php on line 2669

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.